/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Mirror's Edge 3 - Ideas & Improvements — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums

Mirror's Edge 3 - Ideas & Improvements

Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Mirror's Edge 3 - Ideas & Improvements

Prev1
Hopefully if we get Mirror's Edge 3 (or whatever the name will be).
I mean it should be big if. As catalyst's ending was feeling kinda like "we are getting only started".

So if we get it this is what I would want to see:
-if it's open world too please make it more "Open". Because in catalyst it felt like you have to run same paths ovet and over between missions.
-more NPCs in world and make them more alive, because those NPC in Catalyst just stand in one place. + NPC runners, who run around different paths, like in Skate series there was NPC skaters around to make the open world alive.
-some personality for Faith, other supporting characters and of course bad guys too!
In catalyst it felt like only Plastic felt like interesting person. Icarus was first kinda ****, but after that he became like blank personality too.
-more variety to side mission, because in catalyst side missions are all just race against time. Borderlands is great example for having interesting side missions, there's just all that random stuff from listening story to killing yourself. I know sometimes side missions are just fill to main game, but why not make them intereting, in catalyst I didn't really even do more than one side mission.

So here's my ideas, what do you guys think? :D

Comments

• Pretty solid points. And for the love of god fix the A.I. I shouldn't be able to jump into that room in the shard with like 10 enemies in it and knock them all out no problem.
  • I'd like ME3 to be like ME1 plus MEC's moves and combat system... but since that's not gonna happen because gamers today love insanely and unnecessarily large games, hate environment puzzles and won't bother mastering a game after finishing once, I say I'd be fine with a MEC minus the glass.
  • This is all stuff I want improved on too, and I really hope we get another game. Leaving the series on such a cliffhanger would be tragic.
  • sonicnerd14
    124 posts
    edited October 2016
    I would like to see maybe a few more gadgets that could help you in cool ways, and I would even like to see them bring guns back. Yeah yeah yeah, now I know some people didn't like them in ME1 much because they really didn't do much, or they slowed you down, but if they actually gave good reasons to why other weapons would be necessary it would spice up the game a bit more. Honestly, I missed guns kinda, I never used them either because I liked to speed run, but through my very first playthrough of the game 8 years ago of coursed I used a gun or two, and its not like MEC is very speedrunable either. I think it will be one of the things that will bring some charm back into the game if they do it right.

Also, like you said the game world just isn't open enough. Not only are you confined to rooftops in majority of the map, but there is hardly any life there. Besides the occasional patrols you can choose to fight, and the random NPC that are awkwardly placed, the existence some kind of world presence isn't quite there. I would like to explore some more of the ground level of Glass as the rooftops can't always be there for runners to get around the huge city. I would like to explore other places like the greylands as well.

Lastly, the story and characters need much more improvement. I talked about this in another thread pertaining to if we think we'll get an ME3, but I'll mention here that the characters aren't that great, all but a few are really any good at all, and I think its owed to how awfully generic the tale was by the end. In some aspect the game overall was much better than ME1's, but it was almost no better, and no longer either. I think they need someone who understands narrative design, level design, and gameplay design all in one package to make the story better, and as well as how you get around the game world during missions, and outside of misson. ME had a very stylized approach I kinda miss, and I was hoping to see a continuation in MEC, but really the only thing that improved were the gameplay mechanics, the length of the story, and the wasted potential of the open world. Everything else, just doesn't quite seem to match what ME1 put in motion. I think if Catalyst was ME1 with an open world, and a better story I think people would probably rejoice over that. Too bad thats not what happened here.
    Post edited by sonicnerd14 on
  • certainly bigger for more exploration. felt so disappointed that you have this huge map only only a small part of it you can go to. and what i like to see is, that you can go among the people on the streets or buildings. it felt so empty that you hardly saw anyone in areas you expect to see lots of people. these npc standing around which are only for giving and delivering goods is not my idea of a crowded place.
    so catalyst went in the right direction but lacked on life. agree with the rest being mentioned.
  • Xpectakill wrote: »
    Pretty solid points. And for the love of god fix the A.I. I shouldn't be able to jump into that room in the shard with like 10 enemies in it and knock them all out no problem.

When I runned into that "room" and runned away only few of those guys followed me and I beat them up. others just stayed in there like "we think they'll handle that runner". :D
  • Guns would be cool option to have, in original ME sometimes I got really **** about those enemies who could run like you and was always kicking you in the back, so I picked a gun and shoot them. So it would be kinda good option to have if enemies give you hard time.
  • C4d4lesien wrote: »
    Guns would be cool option to have, in original ME sometimes I got really **** about those enemies who could run like you and was always kicking you in the back, so I picked a gun and shoot them. So it would be kinda good option to have if enemies give you hard time.

i do understand as to why they didnt give her a gun. faith after all had a past experienced that made her avoid using guns. and i was pretty cool with that. gave it a bit of an extra challenge. i know in part 1 these special trained runner hunters are tough but once you also know where to run, they arent a problem anymore. i cant recall the last time they got me.
    in the level "family matters", you encounter few of them but i avoided fighting them since i knew were to go. i just took out the gunners since the other wont follow me.
  • metalrocks wrote: »
    C4d4lesien wrote: »
    Guns would be cool option to have, in original ME sometimes I got really **** about those enemies who could run like you and was always kicking you in the back, so I picked a gun and shoot them. So it would be kinda good option to have if enemies give you hard time.

i do understand as to why they didnt give her a gun. faith after all had a past experienced that made her avoid using guns. and i was pretty cool with that. gave it a bit of an extra challenge. i know in part 1 these special trained runner hunters are tough but once you also know where to run, they arent a problem anymore. i cant recall the last time they got me.
    in the level "family matters", you encounter few of them but i avoided fighting them since i knew were to go. i just took out the gunners since the other wont follow me.

In MEC those enemies weren't that tough and couldn't keep up with faith that well, but in ME those enemies were annoying. But I'm fine without guns too since ME games are more about running.
    certainly bigger for more exploration. felt so disappointed that you have this huge map only only a small part of it you can go to. and what i like to see is, that you can go among the people on the streets or buildings. it felt so empty that you hardly saw anyone in areas you expect to see lots of people. these npc standing around which are only for giving and delivering goods is not my idea of a crowded place.
    so catalyst went in the right direction but lacked on life. agree with the rest being mentioned.

Catalyst's 'open world' felt incredibly linear. Although you could supposedly run wherever you wanted, all it really is is filler between missions.
  • The thing with that open world is that you have to learn the whole city to know where to go without getting lost or looking at the map all the time (not using the runner vision).

With ME 1, due to the linear levels you still knew where to go most of the time but could have a puzzle trying to figure out how to get there. I suppose it was easier to get into the "flow" that they always talk about, whereas in MEC you need the runner trail visual to get that, or spend all your time breaking out the map and stopping to look around ;p I guess that's what the runner trail is for :)
    "Yeah yeah I'm sure the birds are real impressed Faith, but once you're done showing off think you might concentrate on some actual work?!!" - Merc
  • the runner vision was certainly helpful but i agree that i had to bring out the map as well to know where to go. they have created a great playground for running with well placed zip lines, grabbling stations (or what ever they are called to use the grabbling hook). certainly the enemies are less hazardous as in part 1, since you can defeat them more easily but i think its still ok never the less. it keeps you moving but what i like to see is when they try to hit you and you can disarm them as in part 1. only this time faith doesnt keep the gun.
    but here is an idea. a "new game +" option. i know you can replay all the missions as such with your full upgrades but the story progression it self isnt there anymore. you dont have these cutscenes anymore like meeting plastic, when accounting dogen, noah, etc.
    certainly bigger for more exploration. felt so disappointed that you have this huge map only only a small part of it you can go to. and what i like to see is, that you can go among the people on the streets or buildings. it felt so empty that you hardly saw anyone in areas you expect to see lots of people. these npc standing around which are only for giving and delivering goods is not my idea of a crowded place.

Catalyst's 'open world' felt incredibly linear. Although you could supposedly run wherever you wanted, all it really is is filler between missions.

That's kinda how I feel about it, The map is really isn't made to be explored as much as it is to just journey through to the next mission. I think for an open world game all of us could agree that not only should the playable space be a bit bigger, but also have optional task that are actually worth your time. A couple of the side missions were alright, but none of the other activities are really fun.

That's kinda how I feel about it, The map is really isn't made to be explored as much as it is to just journey through to the next mission. I think for an open world game all of us could agree that not only should the playable space be a bit bigger, but also have optional task that are actually worth your time. A couple of the side missions were alright, but none of the other activities are really fun.

agreed. when i replay the missions, i have realized that majority of the side missions are collecting these red spheres for plastic. and i actually disliked them after the second time around. i rather have more gridnotes missions. now they are fun.
  • Looking to. Map, there's a lot buildings, but in open world you cannot get top of those buildings. Sometimes map feels bit restricted, like is it possible to get top of the roof of that main safehouse? Spend some time trying to find way.
  • In the first game I liked how the levels were set up,
    - outdoor traversal environment,
    - then an indoor puzzle environment,
    - then some kind of combat sequence to finish off the level

in some of the levels some of these steps would repeat, but the key thing here is the indoor environment.

in catalyst I hate how some of the main missions took place in free roam areas, as in areas you can access at any time, this made some of the mission kind of boring, as you as the player likely already explored that area, so if they were to make a third game my suggestion would be to follow this formula that the first game followed for most, if not all mission, outdoor traversal, indoor puzzle, and then a big combat finale.

That's my suggestion for story mission, for side mission however I feel like they too got repetitive, basically just races, I feel like they should introduce new kinds of side mission, such as,
    - environmental puzzle missions beyond the grid nodes, ones that involve possibly some narrative,
    - combat trials, these could possibly be randomly generated as you traverse through the world to help other runners out by clearing the way for them, these would be different than just random enemy encounters as this would involve taking down the enemies in the fastest time possible, and would actually have a purpose,
    - break and entry missions, these would be similar to the "back in the game" story mission, but scaled down a bit more, possibly have someone else with you in the building, these could also pop up during different times of day, at night for easy entry, or during the day to create a distraction for the citizens and k-sec,

these are all the suggestion I have now really, one more idea that could possibly be cool is multiplayer or cooperative missions, not sure how these could play out but when I think of this kind of thing in Mirror's Edge I think of the cooperative mode in Portal 2, I don't know just throwing things out there.
  • Oh one more thing, maybe the developers could implement some kind of level builder for the players. In how I'm thinking this could work, basically there would be a specific building players would go to, to download and play these levels, they would enter the building, select the level, the level would load and the players would play. That way there would be a specific location for players to build and play the levels without tampering with the rest of the world.
  • filipomel wrote: »
    In the first game I liked how the levels were set up,
    - outdoor traversal environment,
    - then an indoor puzzle environment,
    - then some kind of combat sequence to finish off the level

in some of the levels some of these steps would repeat, but the key thing here is the indoor environment.

in catalyst I hate how some of the main missions took place in free roam areas, as in areas you can access at any time, this made some of the mission kind of boring, as you as the player likely already explored that area, so if they were to make a third game my suggestion would be to follow this formula that the first game followed for most, if not all mission, outdoor traversal, indoor puzzle, and then a big combat finale.

That's my suggestion for story mission, for side mission however I feel like they too got repetitive, basically just races, I feel like they should introduce new kinds of side mission, such as,
    - environmental puzzle missions beyond the grid nodes, ones that involve possibly some narrative,
    - combat trials, these could possibly be randomly generated as you traverse through the world to help other runners out by clearing the way for them, these would be different than just random enemy encounters as this would involve taking down the enemies in the fastest time possible, and would actually have a purpose,
    - break and entry missions, these would be similar to the "back in the game" story mission, but scaled down a bit more, possibly have someone else with you in the building, these could also pop up during different times of day, at night for easy entry, or during the day to create a distraction for the citizens and k-sec,

these are all the suggestion I have now really, one more idea that could possibly be cool is multiplayer or cooperative missions, not sure how these could play out but when I think of this kind of thing in Mirror's Edge I think of the cooperative mode in Portal 2, I don't know just throwing things out there.

I get what you're going for... it would definitely improve the game... i would really like to see multiplayer, coop with friends, where you go into each others games, one player goes in to the corporate building and steels data, while the other distracts ksec by fighting them and such... and large servers where you can make your own cabals and customise your own runner. Play together do missions together ect... it would add a lot...
  • @filipomel
    if MP, than really as in portal 2 that its separate from the main game. not like in watchdogs 1, were you mind your own busies and suddenly you are forced to accept or trying to escape the other player from finding you. that was really aggravating when i wanted to start a mission and this happened. took me over 4 tries until i finally could proceed with campaign.
    otherwise your ideas are good indeed. even though i did not had any real issue that some of the main missions were at areas you can free roam. the first one was escaping, and thats an area you never visit again, kruger building, krugers home, the shard and many more. the only missions you do run around in open areas was freeing icarus and when removing ksec in the sewers (but this areas was then unlocked after completing the main mission.
  • If they make Co-op or multiplayer mode, I would prefer to Co-op, they should make some parkour moves that takes two people, like that move where someone gives other person lift on jump, like in Uncharted 4. Because of this co-op should be in separate playmode like said in portal 2.
  • A seperate storyline for co-op would be ideal, as that worked incredibly well in Portal 2, but is it realistic with these games? Both Mirror's Edge games are ridiculously short and they both took a dramatically long time to make. With a whole new mode and plot, the games would be enhanced, but only if they did it right, and judging by the Mirror's Edge history I doubt they could achieve what we want.
  • then better leave the co op/MP out. rather focus entirely on the campaign. im sure they have ideas for the next title and hopefully consider some of our feedbacks/considerations. i still think they went in the right direction but just needed more life in the world and more freedom.
  • ImUrFriend
    167 posts
    edited October 2016
    metalrocks wrote: »
    then better leave the co op/MP out. rather focus entirely on the campaign. im sure they have ideas for the next title and hopefully consider some of our feedbacks/considerations. i still think they went in the right direction but just needed more life in the world and more freedom.

Multiplayer needs to be added, since it's DICE, of course they're going to try something new into each of their newly released games. Like in one of previous threads discussed, Runner customization is a really good idea to put into this game as Faith isn't the only runner in Glass right?

DICE has a tradition where they would try new stuffs and add more content just to make each game they make is different than other games. They wanted to strengthen the connection between the community like us and them Devs.
    I am Iman.
  • ImUrFriend wrote: »
    metalrocks wrote: »
    then better leave the co op/MP out. rather focus entirely on the campaign. im sure they have ideas for the next title and hopefully consider some of our feedbacks/considerations. i still think they went in the right direction but just needed more life in the world and more freedom.

Multiplayer needs to be added, since it's DICE, of course they're going to try something new into each of their newly released games. Like in one of previous threads discussed, Runner customization is a really good idea to put into this game as Faith isn't the only runner in Glass right?

DICE has a tradition where they would try new stuffs and add more content just to make each game they make is different than other games. They wanted to strengthen the connection between the community like us and them Devs.

but MP is not always the solution as many make out. there are enough games that proof that campaign only can work perfectly well.
  • Is multiplayer necessarily fitting into this type of game?
    First they really need to get whole singleplayer campaign and story right.
    They need to make characters with more personality, Plastic was almost only character who had personality, other characters were very blank, they need to work on story too, like in Catalyst story was pretty much: SPOILERS (duh)
    There's this evil corporate dude and faith gets out of prison, faith stoles thingie and this evil corporate dude attacks against runners, noah gets prisoned, then faith goes to this female who is runner too and leads other group, faith founds out Caitlyn is alive and is her sister. Noah dies, corporate dude who made caitlyn as her dsughter dies, caitlyn becomes corporate evil dude because reasons. Oh yeah there was this doctor who was faiths mother's friend.

So they should improve story in some way.
    Maybe some type of boss fight? Maybe like you run around and knock some things or something I don't know.
  • ImUrFriend
    167 posts
    edited October 2016

Maybe some type of boss fight? Maybe like you run around and knock some things or something I don't know.
    haha running around and knocking things isn't Faith's kinda thing. She is a rebel and a fierce fighter. Maybe in ME 3 the evil corporations are down and independence is celebrated

I am Iman.
  • agreed, knocking things down isnt her style. but more characteristics would do good. we got enough from faith but others should have been explained as well. like birdman. they made him sound very important but all we do is run, find 2 pigeons and then we never hear from him again.
    story wise could use some polishing but over all it was satisfying. i wonder what part 3 will offer.
    agreed, knocking things down isnt her style. but more characteristics would do good. we got enough from faith but others should have been explained as well. like birdman. they made him sound very important but all we do is run, find 2 pigeons and then we never hear from him again.
    story wise could use some polishing but over all it was satisfying. i wonder what part 3 will offer.

I agree wholeheartedly on Birdman. He was built up, and had the potential, to be an amazing and highly important character. Particularly after
    Noah's death
    , I expected Birdman to become a much more significant figure in Faith's life. On the contrary, it seemed everybody left Faith alone after that incident.
    Even Icarus was conveniently written out of the story.
    Birdman should have been as big as we expected him to be. He didn't deserve three or four average side missions, before practically vanishing from Glass.

Honestly I think at this point we need a co-op mode if anything. Like you said they really need to iron out their storytelling, but if they found some way to blend the co-op mode with the SP in seemless way, then that would be pretty cool. One think that just doesn't work anymore in my opinion are the ghost time trials, we need real-time ones, and that is what I was hoping they were going to do with this game, but that never happened. I think that fragmenting the SP and co-op in a game like this before have never really worked. Look at BF3's coop, or Far Cry 3's coop, after awhile the player base for those modes just dies, and no one wants to play them. You have to intelligently blend them so that people want some kind of reason to play together. Whether that be for extra story elements, new gameplay opportunities, or just some kind of friendly competition (like runs). Otherwise the inclusion of Co-op or MP would be kinda pointless.
    agreed, knocking things down isnt her style. but more characteristics would do good. we got enough from faith but others should have been explained as well. like birdman. they made him sound very important but all we do is run, find 2 pigeons and then we never hear from him again.

I agree wholeheartedly on Birdman. He was built up, and had the potential, to be an amazing and highly important character. Particularly after
    Noah's death
    , I expected Birdman to become a much more significant figure in Faith's life. On the contrary, it seemed everybody left Faith alone after that incident.
    Even Icarus was conveniently written out of the story.
    Birdman should have been as big as we expected him to be. He didn't deserve three or four average side missions, before practically vanishing from Glass.

my thoughts as well about birdman. you think he will take over after the mentioned incident. ignoring faith, yeah, everyone else really did like normal people in buildings and constructions sites. no one telling faith off she cant be there ?